VA Certificate of Eligibility logo image
Veteran Loans FHA Loans Apply Now Rates Calculators Contact Now
VA Certificate of Eligibility | $8000 Homebuyer Tax Credit image
VA & FHA Customer Login
VA Home Purchase Loans
VA Refinance & IRRRL
FHA Regular 203(b)
FHA Renovation 203(k)
FHA Streamline
Home Purchase Process
Refinance Process
Rate Lock Advisory
FICO Score
(DTI) Debt-to-Income
(LTV) Loan-to-Value
(PMI) What is It?
Closing Costs
Buy Points?
Saving Tips
Our Service Area
Site Map
Tell A Friend about VA Certificate of Eligibility image

VA Certificate of Eligibility 2015

The Veterans Administration will determine your eligibility and issue a VA Certificate of Eligibility. There are 4 reasons to request a VA Certificate of Eligibility in 2015.
  1. Initial request for home loan benefit.
  2. Request to replace a lost VA Certificate of Eligibility.
  3. Request for restoration of benefit after payment in full of a previous VA home loan.
  4. For refinance purposes; request for VA Certificate of Eligibility on a current outstanding loan.
Documents you will need and FAQ:
VA Certificate of Eligibility Request form icon image VA Form 26-1880 Request for VA Certificate of Eligibility
Standard Form 180 - Request Pertaining to Military Records icon image SF-180 Request Pertaining to Military Records
DD Form-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty icon image DD Form-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
  VA Certificate of Eligibility Frequently Asked Questions

3 ways to get the VA Certificate of Eligibility in 2015

1) We could get it for you:
We can obtain a VA Certificate of Eligibility for you by using the ACE (Automated Certificate of Eligibility) or Web LGY system. This is a web-based application that allows us to input data about you and obtain an eligibility determination quickly. If eligibility is established, we print out the VA Certificate of Eligibility to submit with the guaranty package.

The automated system cannot decline your eligibility. If eligibility is not determined by ACE, we will need to get a completed VA Form 26-1880 and send it to Veteran Affairs for processing. This does not mean that you are ineligible.

ACE will not make all determinations. ACE will be most helpful in cases where the veteran is a first time user of the program. Some types of cases cannot be processed through ACE at this time. They are:
  • Persons whose service was or is in the Reserves/National Guard
  • Persons who may have had prior VA loan(s) that went to foreclosure
  • Persons who did not serve the minimum required length of service and were not discharged for an authorized exception
  • Persons who were discharged under conditions other than honorable
  • Persons for which VA has insufficient data to make the determination
  • Persons seeking restoration of previously used entitlement
  • Unmarried surviving spouses
2) You could request it from Veterans Administration:
  • Send the completed VA Form 26-1880, Request for a VA Certificate of Eligibility, and any supporting evidence such as proof of your military service to:

    VA Loan Eligibility Center
    251 N. Main Street
    Winston-Salem, NC 27155
    (800) 827-1000

    Under normal circumstances a response can be anticipated in roughly 10 days.

  • Include photocopies of your most recent discharge or separation papers covering active military duty, which show active duty dates and type of discharge. If you served on regular active duty (not a reservist) and were discharged after 1975 or you have previously had a VA loan, it may not be necessary for you to provide documentation of your military service. We recommend that you provide all supporting documentation with your VA Form 26-1880 to avoid any unnecessary delays.

  • If you are seeking restoration of your previously used benefit, you should include any evidence of payment in full of your prior loan (copy of HUD-1, settlement statement for example) that you have in your possession.
3) You can obtain it online from Veterans Administration:
Please download and follow the instructions in this document: Obtaining Your Certificate of Eligibility Online.

VA Certificate of Eligibility 2015 Guidelines

If you were discharged from regular active duty
If you were separated after January 1, 1950, the appropriate documentation of your military service would be DD Form-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. If you were discharged after October 1, 1979, DD Form 214, copy 4 would be appropriate. A photocopy of DD Form-214 will suffice. Do not submit an original document.

If your service was in Selected Reserves
If you served in the Selected Reserve you must provide documentation sufficient to establish that you served a minimum of 6 years with points earned for weekend drills or active duty for training and received an honorable discharge. Since there is no uniform document similar to DD Form-214 for proof of service in the Selected Reserve, a number of different forms may be accepted.

For those who served in the Army or Air National Guard and were discharged after at least 6 years of service, NGB Form-22 may be sufficient.

Those who served in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserves may need to relay on a variety of forms. Often it will be necessary to submit a combination of documents such as an Honorable Discharge certificate together with a Retirement Points Statement.

If you remain on active duty
If you are on regular active duty and have not been previously discharged from active duty service, you must submit a statement of service which includes the name of the issuing authority (base or command), and is signed by or at the direction of an appropriate official. The statement must identify you (SSN), and provide your date of entry on active duty and the duration at any time lost. If you remain on active Selected Reserve duty, the statement of service should be from your unit CO and should cite the length of time you have served with the reserve unit.

More guidelines on Veteran or Military status
Veteran | Military Status Eligibility

DD Form-214

To order the Defense Department Form 214 (DD 214) you have to fill out and fax or mail the Request Pertaining to Military Records SF-180. The documents are mailed from the Military Personnel Records Center, which maintains a goal of a ten-day response time for any request for a DD Form 214 (provided no other information is needed from the military service record).

The standard form needed and the most important of all the other copies is the "Service 2?copy. This document contains information regarding the nature and type of discharge along with the re-enlistment code. This re-enlistment code will determine whether the service member can return to service. The "Service 2" may be required for unemployment benefits, VA benefits, and several other services.

Upon release from active duty the service member is provided with "Member 4" document, which is an identical copy of "Service 2.?The "Member 4" is that service memberís personal copy and any request for replacement of that original document will only be satisfied with the "Service 2" copy.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Contact us if you have any questions regarding the VA Certificate of Eligibility 2015 or any other mortgage related questions.


Our Location

51 Monroe Place, Suite 1107
Rockville, MD 20850
(202) 669-1154

Got to Home Page

Our Service Area

ALL 50 States


Equal Housing Lender image  Realtor Registered Trade Mark image is an FHA and
Veterans Military Home Loan specialist. 51 Monroe Place, Suite 1107 Rockville, MD 20850
Phone: 202-669-1154 Fax: 301-838-2025

FHA Loans | Contact Now | Calculators | Rates |
VA & FHA Customer Login | Veteran Loans

Copyright ©
Portions Copyright © a la mode, inc.
Another XSite by a la mode, inc. | Terms of Use | Site Map