VA Certificate of Eligibility logo image
Veteran Loans FHA Loans Apply Now Rates Calculators Contact Now
VA Certificate of Eligibility | $8000 Homebuyer Tax Credit image
VA & FHA Customer Login
VA Home Purchase Loans
VA Refinance & IRRRL
FHA Regular 203(b)
FHA Renovation 203(k)
FHA Streamline
Home Purchase Process
Refinance Process
Rate Lock Advisory
FICO Score
(DTI) Debt-to-Income
(LTV) Loan-to-Value
(PMI) What is It?
Closing Costs
Buy Points?
Saving Tips
Our Service Area
Site Map
Tell A Friend about VA Certificate of Eligibility image

VA Certificate of Eligibility FAQ 2015

Frequently Asked Questions 2015

1) How do I apply for a VA guaranteed loan?
You would need to work with a lender that offers the VA home loan program and you would need to apply for that VA loan. To prove your eligibility for the VA loan you must get a VA Certificate of Eligibility.
2) How do I get a Certificate of Eligibility?
Complete a VA Form 26-1880, Request for VA Certificate of Eligibility, and submit it to the VA Eligibility Center, along with proof of military service.
3) Can your company get my VA Certificate of Eligibility for me?
Yes, most lenders have access to the ACE Web LGY system and can issue an online VA Certificate of Eligibility quickly. Only cases for which VA has sufficient information can be processed via Web LGY.
4) What evidence of military service is acceptable?
If currently serving as active duty, your statement of service must be submitted. This document has to be signed or by direction of the adjutant general or commander of your unit or personnel officer or higher headquarters. This document also has to identify you accompanied by your SSN. Your statement of service must also provide your date of entry into active duty and any lost time from active duty.

You should submit DD Form-214 with your VA Form 26-1880 if discharged from regular active duty after January 1st 1950. DD Form-214 copy 4 should be submitted if discharged after October 1st 1979. You should not submit any original documents.

If discharged from the National Guard or Selected Reserves, you must prove no less than 6 years of honorable service documentation. If discharged from Air Force National Guard or Army, you need to include NGB Form-22 or NGB Form-23 or its equivalent. If discharged from Selected Reserve, you need to include evidence of honorable service and your latest annual points statement.

If still serving in the National Guard or Selected Reserves, you must submit the original statement of service showing how long youíve been a member of Selected Reserves. This statement of service must be signed by or by the direction of: the adjutant or the personnel officer or the commander of your unit or higher headquarters. The documented amount of honorable service must be 6 years minimum.
5) How do I obtain proof of military service?
SF-180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, is used to apply for proof of military service regardless of whether you served on regular active duty or in the selected reserves. This request form is NOT processed by VA but by an appropriate custodian of military service records.
6) I have already obtained one VA loan. Could I get another one?
Yes, your VA Certificate of Eligibility can be used again. Once youíve paid off your VA loan and no longer own the property, you can restore your used VA Certificate of Eligibility. There is also a one time exception rule that if you still own the property but your VA loan is paid in full, you can have your VA Certificate of Eligibility restored.
7) I sold the property I obtained with my prior VA loan on an assumption. Can I get my VA Certificate of Eligibility restored to use for a new loan?
If the person assuming the loan is an eligible veteran as well, then they can substitute their VA Certificate of Eligibility for yours on that loan, which would allow for you to get your VA Certificate of Eligibility restored. Any other situation would require for the VA loan to be paid off by whoever is assuming it before your eligibility is restored.
8) My VA loan was assumed and the person who assumed it, defaulted on the loan. Veterans Affairs paid a claim to the lender and did not find me at fault. Why will the Veterans Affairs not restore my VA Certificate of Eligibility?


If I had a foreclosure on my VA loan or gave deed in lieu of foreclosure or Veterans Affairs paid a portion of the claim and waved my debt on that loan, why is it that I cannot restore my VA Certificate of Eligibility?

In either case, although the veteranís debt was waived by the VA, the Government still suffered a loss on the loan. The law does not permit the used portion of the veteranís eligibility to be restored until the loss has been repaid in full.
9) Only a portion of my eligibility is available at this time because my prior loan has not been paid in full even though I donít own the property anymore. Can I still obtain a VA guaranteed home loan?
Yes, if there is any unused portion of a veteranís eligibility, it can be made available for use. A determination would have to be made by the lender if the remaining balance of unused eligibility would be enough for a new loan.
10) Is the surviving spouse of a deceased veteran eligible for the home loan benefit?
The unmarried surviving spouse of a veteran who died on active duty or as the result of a service-connected disability is eligible for the home loan benefit. Also, the surviving spouse who along with the veteran acquired a VA home loan prior that veteranís death can get a VA guaranteed IRRR loan. The cause of death is not a factor in getting this VA guaranteed IRRR loan.
11) Is the home loan benefit available to the children of an eligible living or deceased veteran?
No, the home loan benefit is not available to the children of an eligible veteran whether that veteran is alive or deceased.
VA Certificate of Eligibility
VA Loan Requirements

Did you find what you were looking for?

Contact us if you have any questions regarding the VA Certificate of Eligibility 2015 or any other mortgage related questions.


Our Location

51 Monroe Place, Suite 1107
Rockville, MD 20850
(202) 669-1154

Got to Home Page

Our Service Area

ALL 50 States


Equal Housing Lender image  Realtor Registered Trade Mark image is an FHA and
Veterans Military Home Loan specialist. 51 Monroe Place, Suite 1107 Rockville, MD 20850
Phone: 202-669-1154 Fax: 301-838-2025

FHA Loans | Contact Now | Calculators | Rates |
VA & FHA Customer Login | Veteran Loans

Copyright ©
Portions Copyright © a la mode, inc.
Another XSite by a la mode, inc. | Terms of Use | Site Map